Thursday, July 11, 2013

Anniversary Cruise - Visiting the old stomping ground

Back in December, Matthew & I went on a date and started talking about our upcoming 20th wedding anniversary.  We decide that it was finally time to do something big for ourselves.  I've always wanted to go on a cruise, so we decided that's what we would do.  We really wanted to go as close to our official wedding anniversary date (May 1st) as we could.  In the process of planning, he was also asked to do a wedding and so we had some pretty narrow choices.  But we were happy to book a 5 day trip the weekend after our anniversary, leaving out of New Orleans (where we could drive to), stopping in Progresso, Mexico and Cozumel.

My parents came up to watch the kids and after a Thursday night Volleyball game of Rebecca's we headed out of town and drove to Meridian Mississippi.  Matthew asked our friend if we could borrow their Mustang convertible for the trip, which we did.  It made for a little more fun ride down there.

On Friday, we drove the rest of the way and went through Slidell, Louisiana where I grew up.  I moved away when I was 15 years old so it had been 27 years since I'd been there.  I was so excited about just driving around and finding our house and church, etc.  Unfortunately, the weather didn't really cooperate with us, but I was able to do and see the things I wanted to do there.

From there, we drove to Covington, Louisiana to visit the school I went to there from 4th to 10th grade and after that, we went to a PEO Bed & Breakfast in Mandeville.  A sweet couple have closed in their double car garage and have a great large room with it's own kitchenette in it. 

We had a nice dinner out and walked along Lake Pontchartrain that evening.  It was definitely a great way to start our anniversary celebration! 


I don't care for this picture but it's funny.  I haven't been in many convertibles and it was funny how my hair flew straight up!  I sent this to my friend who loaned us the car and she asked if I'd brought a hat.  I said "no" and she said she saw a truck stop in our future!!!

Well, Lookie at my head!!  Our hotel was next to a mall so we went in and found a hat shop and got one both of us liked and could wear!!!

First signs for Slidell - I was getting really excited!

Here it is - 202 Canberra Court.  It seemed smaller than I remembered (isn't that always the case?)  They had made some changes but it was definitely recognizable and brought back many memories.

The side view - I mowed that yard many, many times.  Too bad we didn't have all that landscaping back then, huh, Cassie????

The corner view (had to get the drain that used to back up and flood the streets - we didn't look for snow days - we looked for flood days!!!)

We found the church that we went to for many years.  The front was the same - they've added on that back building though!

We wanted lunch and I knew I wanted to get a Shrimp PoBoy if I could.  I couldn't believe we found the exact PoBoy shop that our family would go to.  I was soooo excited!!!

Yummy - there it is up close!

See how excited I was?!?  It was so unbelievably yummy - you know how tasting or smelling something can flood back those memories?  Well this sandwich did!!

We were heading to Covington and I saw this and yelled "OH my gosh - pull over!"  There it was - the Old Sunflower Grocery Store that was our bus stop for years.  Of course it's all run down and empty now but I was so excited to see it and remember it

We arrived at NCS just a little bit before school let out so we were a bit pressed for time to get out before school released and we were stuck in the carpool line.  We wandered around and then finally found someone to help us.  They were excited that I was such an "OLD" alumni!!  I wish I had taken more pictures of the campus for my sister, but I was sooo lost and turned around and confused.  It's changed sooo much.  Matthew was a bit antsy so i didn't push it!

I did run across Mrs. Flot - my 5th Grade teacher - so glad to see her!

That night, we had dinner at a great seafood restaurant right on Lake Pontchartrain and then we walked around before heading back to the B&B.

Before we headed out to New Orleans - Matthew really enjoyed driving this car!!!

No comments: