Wednesday, September 8, 2010

While Dad is away......

In July, Matthew went on a Mission Trip to Ohio and was gone from home for 8 days. The kids and I had to keep ourselves busy so we did what we could. A lot of these pictures were taken with my phone, but this short blog chronicles some of the "fun" we had that week.

After church on Sunday, we headed down to Leiper's Fork to visit my parents. Rebecca started volleyball camp that week and Mom headed to Washington to be with my sister, Rachel when she had her baby so we found one afternoon a visit would work. We made the best of that time and stayed as late as we could that evening, but it was worth it.

Mom promised to leave some pea shelling for us - we love to shell the peas and even eat them raw as we work!

The girls love this part!!

Papa had such good workers there that he was able to sit back and relax on the porch while we shelled those peas!


It was a hot one so after we worked on the porch, we went for a swim. While talking, Nonie mentioned something about a bathing cap that actually made her swim faster. The kids wanted to see it and then started fussing over who got to play with it. I ended up having to time them so they wold pass it on. They weren't happy about my taking pictures of them - I told Christian I wouldn't put the other one of him on it but since you can't see his face, I'll put this one!
Wow - can't you tell how much faster he's swimming!?

My silly girls!

Our swim got cut short when Christian got stung by a wasp. I took the picture to text Matthew - it didn't get much bigger than this, but it was swollen a couple of days and itched him the rest of the week! But he survived!


I was fortunate enough to bring home some yummy home grown veggies from Mom & Dad's garden, so the following night, I cooked a really yummy meal...
I took this picture and texted it to Matthew and told him to look what he was missing at home. Am I mean or what??? Man, it was good and I got to eat all of the leftovers, too!!


Christian had his friend, Tristan over and the boys & Rebecca decided to make a big ole fort in Christian's room....
The kids & their fort....

Of course Julianna was refused entry into the big kid's fort, so I helped her make this royal fort and it rocked. Not only did it have an inflatable mattress in it, but popcorn and special drink were delivered to it while watching a Princess movie. That was SOOO much better than the big kids fort!!

So forts became popular that week so I let the kids make one out in the den and sleep together..
Here it is... Not too bad!

The kids getting ready for their night in the tent.

We got to "babysit" Julianna's dear friend, Angela for at least one day a week this summer. This week, we decided to try Aunt Cassie's special lunch (see her blog for more info: Octopus & Seeweed). Angela was NOT so sure about this when I gave it to - she also doesn't eat hotdogs, but despite her hesitancy, she not only ate all of her seeweed but ate a few octopus legs, also!!


We ran by Toys R Us one day and the kids put their money together to buy a couple of Lego things. On our way out, they all wanted their picture made here...
Rebecca & Mickey

Julianna & Mickey

Cool Christian & Mickey

Aunt Cassie made this dress and matching baby dress for Rebecca when she was younger. Julianna discovered it and insisted that I get a picture of her and her bear!

My sister, Cassie posted a blog about her daughter blowing a really big bubble with some gum we shared with them. (Big Bubble) The kids were tricked by the blog at first but then thought it was really funny so this is Christian's picture to "top" Anna Blair's!! :-)


On Wednesday night, I led the kid's at church in their summer Camp Clubhouse. I signed up to do a tie dye project with them, although I had never tie dyed myself. So our Wednesday was spent "practicing" at home. The girls loved it and we all ended up with about 3 extra shirts done.
The girls in their shirts

We found this Cubs shirt at Good Will and got it for my niece, Addelyn, since her Daddy is such a Cubs fan. It can be a fun night shirt for her!

And finally, Julianna got to spend the night with her sweet friend, Angela. I had bought them matching PJ's and so Doreen took a couple of pictures for me with her phone and sent them to me. So sweet.

Movie & Popcorn...

So we survived our week with Matthew being gone. We missed him for sure, but we made the best of the time he was gone!

2 comments:

Sara Campbell said...

1. I miss Nonie's house!

2. A kid that doesn't eat hotdogs?

rachel said...

so much fun! i agree on sara's comments..both of them!